top of page

About Kirby Hill

Kirby Hill is situated in North Yorkshire, 4 miles from Richmond. We are a small hamlet with approximately 60 residents, an 18th-century pub called The Shoulder of Mutton, and the 12th-century Church of St. Peter and St Felix. We have a beautiful village green that residents take turns maintaining, surrounded by historic houses.

 

One of the buildings is a former Grammar School founded by Dr John Dakyn, who was rector of the parish. He was also one of Henry VIII's Commissioners who inquired into the income of the religious houses before the dissolution of the monasteries and one of Queen Mary's persecutors of Protestant martyrs. It was built in 1556 and closed in 1957, just a year after its 400th anniversary. Alumni of the school include Matthew Hutton (1693-1758), who was born here and became archbishop of Canterbury in 1757! Both the grammar school and school house are now private residences. 

Sir Nikolaus Pevsner described Kirby Hill as "a perfect village, but ... also ... exceptional".

Kirby Hill Parish Meeting

Disclaimer: Kirby Hill Parish Meeting does not accept responsibility for information related to affiliates or links from this site. 

©2023 by Kirby Hill Parish Meeting.
Proudly created with Wix.com

bottom of page